When you go on a trip away from home, you want to know that your car is safe. Whether it is a one-day business trip or a two-week vacation, you need peace of mind. There are a few basic tips that you can follow to make sure that your car is safe when you return.
1. Check your insurance – Make sure that your insurance is up to date and covers losses or damages when parked at the airport. Inform your insurance company that your car will be left at the airport for some time.
2. Airport parking – Do proper research on the airport parking options that are available. Find out which provider has the best security and rates. You can find reviews and customer comments online. Choose a company that has security cameras and surveillance on all lots all the time. Try to not park your car far away from the busy areas. Don’t hide it away in a corner. That makes it an easy target. Rather park it where there are more traffic and eyes. That will make it more difficult to steal.
3. Remove valuables – Do not leave any valuable items in the car when leaving it in a parking spot. Remove items like laptops, cell phones, chargers, GPSs, jewelry, sunglasses, wallets or money, and clothes. If there are no valuables in the car, there is no temptation for others.
4. Lock the doors – This is fairly straight forward and common sense. Make sure that all the doors and the trunk are locked properly. Test each door to make sure before you leave.
5. Extra security – Install extra security devices like a tracking system, unbreakable glass, or systems that disable steering. These are just an extra measure to prevent your car from being stolen.
These tips should put your mind at ease. It never hurts to meet the guards and know who they are. Give them an incentive to further ensure that your car remains safe.